Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Isaac, that was a really good report about Lewis and Clark. I am very proud of you.
I too have always enjoyed reading about these adventurous men and their importance in opening the far west to settlers. Some of the first men to be influenced by Lewis and Clark came to be called "mountain men" because they traveled to the Rocky Mountains and the Yellowstone region in search of beaver pelts. They trapped beavers to sell their fur to markets in the east and in Europe where beaver coats and hats were popular. These mountain men lived very dangerous lives alone, thousands of miles from civilization. They had to learn to survive in the wilderness among Indians, grizzly bears and harsh weather. They became important to later families of pioneers who were traveling west to California and Oregon territories because they could guide them through the mountains and help them with the Indians. You might find them interesting to read about. Two of the most well known mountain men were Kit Carson and Jim Bridger. There were also others but I don't remember their names. There are several good books about mountain men and I saw a good movie once titled Jedediah Smith about a mountain man. I don't know how it was rated. I just remember that it was very good. Love, Grandpa

No comments:

Post a Comment